Monday, July 12, 2010

Frisco's

Biltwell Frisco's

I recently traded a Silver Bell Custom 500 helmet to my buddy Mur (Ryan Fletcher) for some biltwell frisco's that he had. I've been running some black 12" kodlin mini apes, but I heard they were being recalled. It was nice to have an excuse just to put some new bars on, although I wasn't even looking for one. Well I ripped all my wiring out and began to get to work on the friscos. What a pain in the ass. I drilled and slotted all the holes but I didn't drill the holes big enough for the first time through. So I was all set to go ahead with the job and I had to wait a day to get access to the right tools to adjust the size of the holes on the bars.


Before I started with the bars I had already prepped the bike, I removed the tank, cut some wires, and went out and got all the proper 'specialty' tools. I should of picked up some patience at the local hardware store, they were out.

Once I had everything ready to go I began running the wires through the bars, but in order to this you first need to pull a wire through the bars with a string.  Fack.  So I had to tie a string to a wire, then fish the string through the bars, then fish the wire through the bars, then tape and wrap all my bike wires to the metal wire line and fish all the bike wires through.  Do you follow? In order to get the bike wires through the handlebars without tearing and ripping them you need to wrap them nicely in some electrical tape and then put a little dish soap/grease on 'em.  That slicks em up good but it's still very tricky to slide em though the holes.  That's what she said. 

This job takes some time when you first do it. Now that I've done it once I could do it again in a few hours. It was very frustrating and I almost took it like a little bitch and shipped it down to the local HD shop. I know they would of charged me a left nut to do this particular job, so I'm happy I fingured it out on my own. 

I managed to suck it up and get the job done. I think I did a pretty good job too. The bars look good on my bike, I was a little 'iffy about going with the chrome friscos, they sit a little lower then my older bars and have a total differnt look about 'em. 

Funny thing is that I ordered another set of Biltwell bars to put on my bike as well.  After what I went through with these friscos, I think I'm gonna leave them on for the year.  So if you want some new chrome 12" biltwell apes or know of anyone who does want/need some, then let me know.

Heres a few tools your gonna need when your internally wiring bars:

-New bars (If you can get them drilled and slotted then do so!)
-If bars arent drilled or slotted then you will need:
-drill press
-small angle grinder
-wire
-string or small chain
-electrical tape
-dish soap or grease
-needle nose pliers/reg pliers
-vacuum
-zip ties
-rags
-old set of gloves
-nylon tubing
-patience
-6 pack of coors light
-camera

Here's the pics of the whole process:


New Frisco's at the top.
Old Kodlins at the bottom.

I cut the wires and then spliced/soldered/shrink.  If I do this again I will get the proper tools to remove the wiring from the terminals.

What a mess.

What the fack am I doing?

New bars, drilled and slotted. The holes on the handlebars were not big enough the first time through.

Tools you need.  Dish soap make the garage smell like a tanning salon, according to Kristin.

This thing sucks.

Tie the string to fish the wire.

Here's where the vaccum comes into play...

Suck it...


There it is.

Pull out...thats what she said.

Tape the wiring together, make sure to stagger the wiring so it doesnt collect in one big bunch.

Wrap the wire around the tape so that it has a good grip to pull through the bars, this is where you drizzle dish soap over the taped off wires.

Pull and push the wiring through.

Patience.

Wipe the soap off the wiring as it comes through so that you can get a good grip on the rest of it.

Almost finished.

Starting to clean up.

Hide the wiring in some nylon wrap.

All done.




No comments:

Post a Comment