Tuesday, August 17, 2010

With Great Mustache Comes Great Respect

If you grow it they will come....errrr....



It's that time of year.  The dog days of Summer. Jamboree Days. What better time then to grow the almighty mustache.

I've been inspired in many ways because of the stache.  The stache itself has inspired me.  People with staches have inspired me based on their stache alone.  The biggest inspiration has got to be Rick Paskal.  My Dad had a stache for years.  Like my father, I started developing the stache at around 13 yrs.  Rick might have developed his mustache at an even earlier age.  His stache was so respected that when he shaved it off they hung it on the wall at a local bar in town.  I cried for weeks.  It hangs in the mustache rafters next to many other fine mustache men of our town.  Other staches that inspired me were around my life on a daily basis.  Most of the staches that I respected came right from the Picture Butte, Alberta area.  Some of you may not know this but Picture Butte was known not only for its sugar beets, great farming and cattle but also for its staches and I'm hoping to bring this back. 

As mentioned earlier I had many mustaches inspire me growing up, only to see most of them fade like the mullets of the 80's.  Here's a list of the mustaches from my home town of Picture Butte that have inspired me:

1. Rick Paskal.  Was it the stache that gave his voice such power?
2. Jim Davies.  Could grow it like no other.  Want a beard? Give him 2 days...
3a. Rick Davies.  Another uncle with a mustache that stood proudly on his upper lip.
3b. Jim Vance.  You couldn't find a better trucker on the road at the time with a better stache.
4a. Duane Casson.  Wow.  I don't know how he isn't higher on this list.
4b. Tom Caruso.  The Italian stallion was his staches nickname.
5. Jeff Davies.  Had a stache at the age of 11.  Why? To fit in with his brothers of course.
6. Don Baker.  Get in his car or on his stache, either way he's taking you for a ride.
7a. Terry O'donnell.  I've seen him shoot a 79 with that stache.  Or was it the stache that shot 79?
7b. Rick Casson.  His stache was in Parliment.  What more can I say?
8. Leon Barendregt.  More then a stache.  An epic beard. 
9. Calvin Sosick.  Another epic beard. Always trimmed and clean, just like his women.
10. Don Tokai.  The sleeper stache.  Rollie Fingers'ish.

Honourable Mention:
- Mike Davies.  Stache was alot like fruit.  Peachy.
- Jim Graham.  Still sporting one today.
- Ross Doenz.  Another bearded wonder.
- Greg Kinnell.  Technically not a 'Butte hometowner but I'm glad that poor excuse for a stache is gone.


Once my blog was posted I  had visions of mustaches dancing in my head all night...

Late Additions:

- Jim Tratch.  How could I forget?  His stache was bigger then him.
- Hank Heerze.  Those Sugar King handlebars could of used a leather vest.
- Wendle Wandler.  Between him and Tratch...I'm not sure who's the more intimidating little mustache man.
- Dwayne Jones.  My old neighbor would sit out on his front step and groom his stache every Sunday afternoon. Classic. 

Did Meryle Bulycz have a stache? He should of.



From Wikipedia:

A moustache (American English: mustache;[1] pronounced /məˈstɑːʃ/ in RP and /ˈmʌstæʃ/ in General American) is facial hair grown on the upper lip. It may or may not be accompanied by a beard, hair around the entire face.

The moustache forms its own stage in the development of facial hair in adolescent males.  Facial hair in males normally appears in a specific order during puberty:


- The first facial hair to appear tends to grow at the corners of the upper lip(age 11-15),


- It then spreads to form a moustache over the entire upper lip(age 16-17),


- This is followed by the appearance of hair on the upper part of the cheeks, and the area under the lower lip(age 16-18),


- It eventually spreads to the sides and lower border of the chin, and the rest of the lower face to form a full beard(age 17-21).


As with most human biological processes, this specific order may vary among some individuals depending on one's genetic heritage or environment


Behold...

The 'Stache















































 




This blog is dedicated to mustache men from Picture Butte, Alberta.  Past and Present.
For my Dad and my Uncles.

No comments:

Post a Comment