Monday, August 9, 2010

An Early Morning Stumble

After a rather early awakening this morning by a certain two-year-old, I found myself tossing and turning, trying unsuccessfully to go back to sleep. So, as I almost always do when battling insomnia, I got up and went to the computer.

As the new school year approaches, just thinking of Reiss attending public school gives me heart palpitations. School starts in four days and we are not even certain whether or not he will be going on to kindergarten within our school system. Yes, with there only being a matter of four days that separate us from now until the beginning of school, we should know if our child is going to start school and yes, most people - including other parents of children with autism - do know whether or not their child is going to go to school. However, we are not "most" people and "most" people do not have to deal with case conferences, IEP's, therapists, and assorted other things that make up the story behind why we do not know if our child will be attending kindergarten within the public school system. But that story is one for another time, not now.

Back to my heart palpitations and the anxiety causing them...

In the past few weeks, merely the thought of sending Reiss to public school darn near gives me a full-on anxiety attack. My mind races with news stories of children with autism being abused by teachers, disappearing from school, and of one autistic boy who even drowned in a school's pool. I think about how no one knows a child with autism like his own parents. I think about how I have tried to explain to one of my own relatives that my child does not comprehend danger and is often a "runner." I also recall the response received and it was not one that provided me reassurance of a total understanding of the problem. If I cannot get someone who is related to my child to "get" it, how on earth am I going to stress the importance of safety to a teacher - someone who is merely being paid to educate my child, not make sure for instance, that he comes back from the bathroom or eats only the food sent to school with him or does not have a meltdown because his pants got water on them or...or...or...?

It is all the "ors" that have brought homeschooling back to the forefront of my thoughts, so with not being able to sleep this morning, I began digging around (again) online for homeschool resources and specifically, for people who have children with autism who they homeschool. In doing so, I stumbled across Free Printable Fun, a fun little blog written by Jamie Sue, a crafty mom to a five-year-old boy with autism.

Jamie Sue does not post very often and from what I have read so far, I do not get the impression that she homeschools (but I could be wrong!) or that she uses the projects she posts as homeschool materials. Again, finding her site was simply a stumble for me that appeared when I Googled "homeschool autism resources." However, the content of her posts are valuable and the projects seem fun, even if they are not meant to be part of a structured homeschool curriculum - although some of them could be used in conjunction with other materials for that very purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment