Monday, March 8, 2010

Progress...sort of.

It's been a while since I've blogged.  I just haven't been in the mood.  I put in a solid 2 weeks of TV when the Olympics was on. Proud to be Canadian while I watched us haul in all those golds.  After being an armchair athlete for those 2 weeks I wanted to try and get some more things done to my bike.  The weather turned warm and I headed out for a few days of riding.  Although my bike was technically not legal to ride on the streets - I did so anyways.  Rather then working on getting it ready for spring - I just rode it. No tail lights, brake lights, turn signals or license plate lights.  I used hand signals. All I know are right turn and left turn. That was fun. Seriously, who uses hand signals?


So once I got a few rides out of my system I figured I should get some stuff done.  I've been waiting all winter for some nice weather, of course that helps get me out on my bike, but it's also nice to get out in the garage.  I dont have a heated garage so the current 'heat streak' we're having has motivated me to get my bike ready for riding season.  It's nice to pop open the garage door and have people starte at me wondering what the hell I'm doing.  I feel the same way.  What am I doing to my bike right now? I have no idea.  I've cut, chopped, grinded, drilled, sanded, swore, chiseled, cut some more, swore and called it a day.  I've injured myself and others all while doing so.  But I've got lots done the past few weeks.  I've had a bit of help from my buddy DJ and my girlfriend Kristin as well.  Although I went into my garage with no direction of any kind, no education and not a clue about motorcycles - I have learned alot.  You learn alot by just going out and doing it.  I have a ways to go in ever saying that I know what I'm doing, but I feel more comfortable everyday.  Although I did pee my pants a little when I cut my first strut off. 

Currently my tank, rear fender and battery and oil cover are in for paint at Kustom Auto Body in Coaldale, AB. The guys there are real good at what they do and they don't saw your arms and legs off either...I was going to paint it gloss black with some decals but I've decided to go out on a limb and paint my bike bright green metallic.  I've also gone to auto appearance in Lethbridge, AB and I've designed some black and white decals to be clearcoated with the paint.  Im pumped to see how it all turns out.  The paint should all be done by next week.

I still have a few things left to do with the bike until it's ready for spring.  I've chopped and shaped my new rear fender.  I installed my new hardtail biltwell struts, my tank lift went on very easy.  Over the weekend my buddy DJ and I wrapped my pipes as well.  It took us a few hours but it was well worth it.  Note: we didn't wear any gloves, eye protection or sleeves either.  I've been itching and coughing for 2 days now.  Fack.

Hear are some pics of my bike in progress and some of the changes and mods I've done.  I've thrown a few in of what it looked like right out of the box back in July of 2008 when I got it.  It's come a long ways since then. 

Summer 2008

    Winter 2008

Spring 2009

Summer 2009

Fall 2009


As of today my bike is a complete mess.  Here are a few pics of a few things I've done.  I have alot to do to have it ready for spring.  Paint being the main priority.  Until then I'll continue to chip away at it and hopefully once the paint is done I can slap the tins on, fuel up and head out.


Freshly cut struts.













Left side fender and new mini led lights












Right side rear view - new struts

New fender - nice and low

New plate bracket and stop light

Rear fender - a little rough but not to bad for a rookie

Tank and fender - before paint...

Battery and oil cover - before paint...

White exhaust wrap, soaking for pipe prep

RSD Exhaust with chrome heat shields

RSD Exhaust black

RSD Exhaust with wrap - Lots of work...

RSD wrapped exhaust on the bike

Bike as it sits now - waiting for tank and fenders from paint


Still lots to do...If it snows again I won't fell as bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment