Wednesday, March 17, 2010

No, I Have Not Gone Missing In Action

But one might thing so considering this is the longest stint I've gone without posting something since I began blogging last year.

Wherever shall I begin? So much has gone on in the last few weeks that I barely remember a lot of it. I suppose I will just begin with the most exciting parts.

Yesterday we started ABA with Reiss!!!!! Yes, this is very exciting news and hence, the exclamation points. It is not only exciting because of the spectacular results we have seen in only two days of therapy, but also because we have been waiting for what seems like an eternity for the therapy itself to begin. Long story short, we went with a BCBA (Board Certified Behavior Analyst) who used to work in an ABA center and then left the center to go out on her own and create in-home ABA therapy programs for children. Because she is relatively new to being out on her own, she is still building up her group of therapists she employs to go out and do the actual therapies.

Today was Day 2 and already I feel like I have learned so much simply by giving all control to the therapists and watching how they handle particular situations. Last night was probably the most "normal" evening we have had since Reiss was born. We sat. We ate dinner. Everyone was calm. I actually feel like it may be the first time I was able to relax in close to five years. And breathe.......I got to breathe without feeling like the weight of the world was on my shoulders from caring for a child who can go from zero to all-out ear-piercing repetitive screaming in 4 milliseconds.

For the first time ever, Reiss is saying "I'm sorry" when he does something wrong, like screaming at someone for no reason. Granted, he does have to be prompted to say it and he does hesitate but he's doing it! And without having to be carried kicking, hitting, screaming, and biting on the way to the timeout chair to sit for a spell for not doing as he is told.

All of it is just totally amazing! It's like a friend of mine says, "I don't know what they're doing but it WORKS!" Actually, I do understand what they are doing and much of it seems so simple, it is like we have been doing much of it all along - now it's simply in a more organized and purposeful way. Needless to say, I think this is going to be a very good thing for Reiss and our entire family.

So much more has happened around here but I really must figure out what to have for dinner besides roast. Until next time.....

No comments:

Post a Comment