Tuesday, March 2, 2010

And The World Stopped......

Lin (Linda) Wessels is a friend of mine on facebook. Her son, Sam, has autism and, just like I am, Lin is an "autism mom." Her family's story is about to be told to the world in the form of a documentary being made by the United States of Autism.

You can read a small tidbit about her family in THIS article with KPTH Fox News. I love the phrase mentioned in the article that Lin used to describe the world from where she was sitting when she received Sam's diagnosis: "...we have your diagnosis and it is autism. And the world stopped..."

Because that is exactly what happens when your child receives an autism diagnosis. The world stops spinning and your whole life becomes a marathon of what-can-I-do-to-help-my-child? Autism doesn't sleep (literally and figuratively, with a lot of children!) and it doesn't take a break or a vacation. It creeps into every single aspect of life in not only the child with autism, but into the lives of his or her family. I wish I could explain this to people so they understand because it is not something anyone can even fathom until they walk down that road.

Enough of my blathering.....go VOTE. And if you are wondering what I mean when I tell you to go vote, first go read the article....then VOTE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment