Saturday, October 17, 2009

GFCF Sweet Potato Hash

This evening's dinner was a product of one of those times when I had no clue what to make. I had some ground beef that needed to get gone and could not be frozen, as it had already been frozen once before. Although I love food with a Mexican flair to it, I have grown weary of limiting our meals to Mexican dishes and spaghetti whenever I have ground beef on-hand.

Having said that, I began throwing things together and sorta hoped for the best. Here was the conconction.....

1 organic red jewel yam (this sounds fancy but you could use a plain ole sweet potato), diced small
1 organic onion, diced
1 organic red bell pepper, diced
organic, hormone-free, antibiotic-free ground beef....a pound maybe...I honestly don't know how much I used
fennel seed

In a large skillet, saute the yam in olive oil until very firm tender, as in, getting cooked on the outside but you can fork-feel that the inside is still pretty crisp. With the yam still in the pan, dump the onion and red pepper in. Stir. Throw in the ground beef and jab at it to break up. Add a good amount of fennel seed...to taste, of course.

Continue cooking until ground beef is fully cooked and veggies are to the texture of your liking. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

There you have it! A gluten-free, casein-free, one-pot, five-ingredient (I don't count oil, salt, and pepper in this case) meal. We ate this with a side of baby spinach and tomato salad and dressing.

The jury's decision:

Milla: "Yuck!" I'm not sure why either, because she likes all the ingredients. She has eaten sausage and likes it but maybe it was the fennel seed that turned her off.
Reiss: He ate it like lettuce wrappers you can order at some restaurants. He wrapped this conconction in the larger sized baby spinach leaves.
James: No comments either way but he went back for seconds or thirds, I'm not certain. If he doesn't like something, he will not say anything and will only eat part of what is served to him and snack later in the evening.
Me: I'll be making this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment