Monday, July 6, 2009

What is a Date?

No, not a Medjool date or even a Halawi or Thoory date. What do you and your spouse or significant other do when you get that ever-so-rare (for us, anyway) treat of a few hours of childless retreat?

Don't get me wrong. I love my children more than words can express but even the best parents need a break now and then. My husband and I do not get anywhere near the number of breaks our friends who are parents get from their own children. Occasionally, I will browse a local mommy message board and read about people who even go on vacation without their children - definitely not for me but I'm also not criticizing.

(Now why would I ever want to get away from someone who looks so sweet???)

Anyway, James and I had such a moment of childless bliss yesterday afternoon when my dad and step-mom came and watched Reiss and Milla. James and I get a break so seldomly that we usually don't even know what to do with ourselves when we do get one.

Yesterday's date was a late afternoon lunch at Ruby Tuesday. We both got hamburgers and I was pleasantly surprised when our food showed up to see that the buns were wheat buns (no, we do not ordinarily stick to GFCF when it's just James and I going out to eat) without us making any special requests for something other than white. James had a regular burger and mine was turkey with bacon and avocado. It was so good and so huge and I certainly should not have eaten the whole thing and the fries with it but I did AND also had a drink called a Ruby Relaxer.

After
I ordered and received the drink, our server informed me that the drink had four ounces of alcohol in it. I have serious doubts because I drink so little when I do drink that if I had consumed four ounces of alcohol yesterday I would not only know it when drinking it, but my legs would have known it as well when I got up to walk. It was an excellent drink and I don't drink to get drunk so I didn't mind that it didn't have all the alcohol in it that Andy proclaimed it to have. All was well and it served it's purpose: I was a little bit more relaxed after the last sip.

Following lunch we went to go get some Pull-Ups for little Miss Big Girl who is now potty-training right along with her big brother. I hate to think that she may be fully potty-trained before her older brother but if that's the case, that's life. Less diapers for me to change. We got them at Babies R Us because I had two stackable coupons - one for $2.50 off and one for $5.00 off. I never buy diapers at Babies R Us because they're too expensive but darn CVS and Walgreens have not had any good diaper sales lately. I gotta go wherever the deal is and yesterday, that happened to be Babies R Us.

After BRU, we went and bought another potty-chair and some white underwear for Reiss and some boxer briefs for James and candy bars. James got a Butterfinger and I had a Twix. Then we headed home.

To sum it up, our Sunday afternoon date consisted of having hamburgers and fries, buying diapers, underwear, a potty-chair, and candy bars. Do we know how to party or what? We are walkin' on the wild side now!

No comments:

Post a Comment