Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Not Bad, Considering How It Started

Well, the day ain't over yet so maybe I shouldn't speak too soon - lest I jinx the rest of the afternoon and evening - but today hasn't been too bad considering my morning began with me cleaning up three puddles of pee on the floor. I would like to say our new puppy took a morning tinkle before making it out the door but we do not own or house any pets due to my husband's severe allergies.

This morning I got up and as most people do, went straight to the bathroom followed by sweet little Milla who thinks she is a big girl and wants to use the potty too. So I pulled down her pants and took off her diaper (unless you count the pink Pull-Ups that are one size too big for Milla that I bought for Reiss for wear here at home - hey, they were on clearance and I had a coupon....cut me some slack!) and on the toddler potty seat she sat for approximately two seconds. She knows when she produces a little puddle in the potty seat's embedded cup that a round of applause will follow. Knowing this, she will often go in the bathroom when I need to go, whether or not she really needs to go herself. She waits until I am sitting on the potty and then wants her pants pulled down so that she can sit down. Soon - as in, two to three seconds later - she gets up quickly with a cheesy smile and waits for the applause. Only many times there is nothing to applaud.

Having given all that background, this morning presented me with such an incident but rather than immediately put Milla's diaper back on and pull up her pants, I left her pants at her ankles so that I could finish my own business. In the meantime, she peed on the floor. I moved her over to clean up that puddle when she peed again! Did I learn from the first puddle? No, her pants were still at her ankles when she stepped out into the hall and promptly proceeded to pee again just as I was cleaning up the second puddle. Finally, my neurons started firing and I pulled up her pants just in time for - you guessed it - Milla to pee a fourth time. This time it got absorbed into her pajama pants though...thank goodness! I was beginning to think my day was going to be spent following around Little Miss Leaky Pee-Pee Girl.

No other pee has made it on the floor today but I have also cleaned up a pad of note paper that Milla pulled apart while I was on a phone call. The phone call was important and one I had been expecting so given the fact that Milla wasn't ripping the paper, rather just pulling off sheets one at a time, and she wasn't crying (always a plus! You stay-at-home moms know what I'm talking about here and how difficult phone calls can be during the day), I let her do it. Bad mommy, I know but you gotta do what you gotta do. Under normal circumstances, I do not allow destruction but the teaching of toddler etiquette sometimes falls to the wayside when I receive an important phone call.

Moving on to other news here.....I had a surprisingly pleasant conversation with the pharmacy manager at Walgreens today. I say surprisingly because I seem to have some notoriety amongst my friends and family of having just about the worst luck when it comes to dealing with any kind of medical professional. I'm convinced that most of them don't have a clue and one has to be dying or appear to be dying for them to muster up any quickness in their step.

My dad recently endured a hospital stay in which he experienced quite a lot of the same treatment I am used to when dealing with such individuals. He spoke very highly though of one particular nurse who was Kenyan. I told him as sad as it is, it was probably due to her being foreign that she was able to keep her head out of her rear in daylight, seeing as though they don't seem to drive that point home quite enough in American medical and nursing schools. Okay, I've experienced good bedside manner, care, and attention in a few nurses but they are the minority, unfortunately.

Anyway, where was I going here? The pharmacy manager. Long story short, after Reiss had his seizure, the pharmacy gave us the right medicine, right dosage, wrong application form of the anti-seizure medication he is to receive should he start seizing again. See what I mean about my luck with medical professionals? We didn't even get what we were supposed to get and seeing how I am not the one who wrote out the prescription, it can't be anything I did wrong...there is clearly something wrong with the kind of luck I have with medical professionals.

Again, I'm getting off-track. Hmmm....wonder why Reiss seems to have a touch of ADHD along with his autism. ANYWAY....So I was talking to the pharmacy manager and telling him what happened and a little part of me was expecting him to tell me that since the medication we received was the correct medication and could be used for our needs that we would be stuck with it and out the $286 we paid for it. Yes, you read that right. $286 for ONE dose of anti-seizure medication. And here's the kicker: Thank goodness we have insurance because otherwise it would have been $446! You gotta love Big Pharma! But no, Mr. Rx Manager told me to just bring it back and pay the difference (yes, you read that right too - the correct form of the med is going to cost about $40 more than the one we already have) for the correct script and all would be well. So thank you, Walgreens, for not giving me one more thing to have to deal with on my already too full plate.

Well, folks, it's getting to be dinner prep time and I don't have anything to add to make any kind of grand exit so until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment