Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A Birthday Wish

Happy Birthday to me!

There was only one thing - well, depending on how you look at it, it could actually be counted as four things - I wished for on my birthday: No poopy underwear, no bloody noses, no vomit, and no children standing on chairs and peeing on carpet and dressers after de-pantsing themselves in their room. All those were things I experienced yesterday and, aside from the peeing on the carpet incident, are things I can generally count on experiencing on a near-daily basis. Yes, I know, I lead a glamorous life.

When I posted my birthday wish to my friends on Facebook, one friend commented, "...if you want a day without those things--well just learn to control yourself a little better, ok?" That gave me a pretty good laugh. (By the way, thanks, Gabe! You have always been quick with the humor.) Anyway, we are doing pretty well so far. That is, if you don't count the poopy underwear Reiss had earlier this afternoon.

The kids' pediatric dentist must have known it was my birthday because a few weeks ago his office staff sent us the postcard notifying us of our next scheduled appointment for these two offspring. And guess when they made our appointment? Yep, you guessed it - my birthday. So this morning we took Reiss and Milla for their appointments. Both had periodic oral examinations while Reiss received a prophylaxis and flouride treatment as well. All that is just a fancy way of saying the nice ladies in the office took Reiss back for fifteen minutes for a cleaning and flouride schmear and Milla for a three-minute (no, not an exaggeration!) exam all to the tune of $190 for both of them. You gotta love living in a country where dental insurance is considered a luxury! All I can say is it's a good thing our kids' dentist is so darn good-looking. There needs to be something to make it worth my while to go there on my birthday. Not to mention, something to make it worthy of me giving up any birthday money I may receive.....

We have not had any bloody noses, vomit to clean up, or chair-perching pee-ers, thank goodness! However, we have had an entire small size to-go cup from Wendy's full of Sprite get poured on the kitchen floor. The things that happen when you turn your back for three seconds! So adding to the celebratory occasion, I got the joy of mopping the kitchen floor.....on my birthday. Does the fun ever end? High fructose corn syrup Carbonated beverages are considered a treat in our house and the kids don't get them very often so if they pour it on the floor when they do, that's their loss - not mine. That is, if you don't count the money spent on the high fructose corn syrup beverage.

This afternoon, these two monkeys granted me with what I'm sure they thought was a wonderful birthday gift: refusing to take a nap. Guess they figured their awake presence was the best they could give since they are not of age to go out and independently by their dear Mom a gift. I axed that gift and put my foot down by putting them in their rooms to cry for awhile. Yes, I am the meanest mom. It was that or send them to our friends' house this evening to have them babysit two cranky, napless and hyper children while hubs and I go find some grub worthy of considering a birthday dinner. I chose relegating them to their rooms and now I sit here typing in blissful silence as they sleep.

Just another day in my glamorous life as a stay-at-home mom....another birthday....another day that seems as mundane as most days.

ETA: The UPS man paid us a visit today. Thinking he was bringing some birthday present my husband had ordered online, I left it on the porch for James to fetch when he got home. It was a doozy, alright! It was a box of B12 syringes for Reiss. I can now be counted amongst the moms who get to jab their kid with a needle every few days.....starting on my birthday. Oh goody!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment