Saturday, May 30, 2009

Random Rambling and Some Photos

This is most definitely not the best photo ever taken of my crew but it was unfortunately the only one taken of them today all decked out in their matching duds. James and Reiss had matching green gingham shirts on that went very well with Milla's flouncy little dress. Her dress is adorable and has a bunch of material under it to make it all full and bouncy.

This day was all about Reiss so this photo shouldn't even be in this order but I haven't mastered uploading photos on here. This is Milla trying to get in on the action at school on Reiss's last day. Before school let out, they had "Field Day" activities and we arrived a bit early so that I could get some photos of Reiss playing.

Reiss at the bubble station on Field Day. Those bubbles were everywhere!

Milla trying to take a nip from her baby's bottle.

Milla feeding her baby in her sling. I ought to find some way to strap that thing on her and make it unremovable for a few hours. Maybe she will get the hint that it's not fun having a baby attached to oneself ALL day long. Probably not....really though, I do love all her hugs. She's very clingy and although it's not always at the most convenient times, I am always a willing recipient for her hugs and kisses. Sometimes I will just sit and smell her hair when she is cuddled up on my lap.




So now that Reiss is out of preschool for the summer, he is home with Milla and me more during the week. It rained on Thursday - the day I wanted to get the pool out and fill it up. Go figure. Keeping these two monkeys occupied can sometimes be difficult but we managed.

Reiss typically does not like watching television but there are sometimes when a mommy just needs to take a break. One day this week I sat down and the tv was on with Barney playing. Barney and all his followers started singing the alphabet song. I told Reiss, "Let's sing the alphabet song with Barney." All through my singing, Reiss kept saying over and over and over, "Wanna sing the alphabet song!" Barney was singing the song several times and about halfway through the third time, I finally said to Reiss, "Reiss, we are singing the alphabet song. Just sing." And he said....

"That's not the alphabet song. That's the ABC song." which got a laugh out of me but I was a little embarassed for myself at the same time. I sometimes forget how specific I need to be sometimes. I could swear that I've called the ABC song "The Alphabet Song" at least once at some point in the past but maybe my memory does not serve me well.

Today we all went to James's and my niece's graduation party. James's brother isn't a whole lot older than we are. He and his wife started their family early and James and I started having children in our mid-thirties. Hence, the major age gap between our nephew (22 years old) and niece (18 years old) and our own children (Reiss - almost 4YO, Milla - 19 months old).

The party itself was a celebration for our niece and three of her friends. They held it at the elementary school of the school system from which she graduated. I was so glad of this because my in-laws live in no-man's land. Their house is not terribly far from us - perhaps forty miles - but it's on curvy, winding, narrow roads that are notoriously dangerous. I didn't like driving there before children. After having children, the thought scares me to death.

While we were there, Reiss and Milla both decided to make a game of running around so we let them. The party was in the cafeteria of the school and letting the kids run around was apparently a reason some people felt that we deserved a glaring stare but I did not care (no, I'm not trying to Dr. Seuss my way through here). Let 'em stare! They're kids and they were not hurting anything or running into people or knocking things off the gift tables or anything else destructive or terribly disruptive. It was already loud in there and although Reiss and Milla were not being loud, even if they had been, no one would have been able to hear them any more than any other noise going on there.

Just as we did for her brother when he graduated from high school, we got our niece a laptop computer to take with her to college. Now if this sounds like a really large gift, let me explain. Yes, it is a very nice gift to give a graduate and I'm not going to say we got it for dirt cheap but it was not as expensive of a gift as some people might think. My husband is a computer nerd and is able to purchase computer components for much cheaper than the average Joe. So yes, it is a nice gift but its cost is way less than what a typical person would have to go pay for a laptop.

After about an hour and a half of visiting with relatives and mingling and chasing children, it was getting to be naptime so we left. Reiss and Milla napped on the way home so that blew the plan for me to get a nice two-hour nap once we arrived home. I didn't sleep well last night and nothing has sounded better all day than to get a wink or two of sleep.

Once we got home, I sat in the sun without sunblock (shame on me!), no less, for about twenty minutes. Reiss and Milla played and then it was on to more chasing them around. Now Milla is asleep and it's 7:40 PM. I should probably wake her so that she will sleep later but I guess in the last four years I have gotten used to never getting the amount of sleep my body really needs. Gaaahhhhh....I'm gonna do it. I'm going to wake her because I don't want another sleepless night.

No comments:

Post a Comment