Friday, May 15, 2009

FINALLY Friday!!!

Actually, this week has flown by so "FINALLY Friday!!!" may imply something other than my true feelings regarding this week and how we arrived at today.

This morning's playgroup was a very welcomed hour of near-relaxation. Most Fridays, my Mommy Mojo totally escapes me once we arrive at playgroup and I spend the majority of our time there doing what some may consider hovering - but what I consider supervising - Reiss. This morning was different though, and with the exception of a "No, Reiss" here and a "Stay out of the toy closet" there, I was treated to an hour of almost total inactivity and adult conversation spent in a child-size chair - just like all the other moms. I dream about this kind of relaxing but it's a rare indulgence in which I am able to partake. Helicopter parenting is not my style but I do take on somewhat a level of an authoritarian on Friday mornings simply as a way to keep the best interests of the other children in mind at playgroup.

When I mention the best interests of other children, I mean making certain Reiss does not force his presence onto others. For example, Reiss is doing very well with the concept of sharing lately but his presentation could use a little improvement. Getting him to understand turn-taking and sharing has been a bit of a challenge but it's that same understanding that he has acquired in recent weeks that has given me faith of our arrival very soon in a place where he understands gentility also plays a role in give and take.

Translation: Learning the concept of sharing is an extremely noteworthy accomplishment, however, the technique Reiss uses needs improvement so as to avoid toys being shoved into the faces of other children.

Reiss loves to present toys to other children but he tends to be a tad aggressive in his persistence to get the other child to accept the toy. Occasionally, when he's trying to share with another child, if the other child does not want the toy or whatever he is offering, he will insist by wrapping the child's hand around the toy. So we have our work cut out for us in that aspect.

On the autism research front, I received a call today from a highly respected local figure in the field of special needs education. Her name was given to me by two separate individuals who spoke very highly of her and her skills in helping families with children on the autism spectrum. She asked me a few questions about Reiss and which areas we need educational resources and is sending out a packet of materials appropriate for our needs.

During our conversation, I told her one area we seem to have a problem with is a lack of our extended families "getting it" and understanding that doing things the same way one would do them with a typical child doesn't always necessarily work with Reiss or children with ASD, in general. She said she sees this in almost every family she helps. That saddens me because it tells me that many other families are not getting the well-deserved and much-needed support from their extended families. On the bright side, she sounds very dedicated to going to any necessary extremes to help families deal with extended families, including coming to the child's birthday party and speaking with family members...Now that would be some gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment