Friday, April 10, 2009

FINALLY Friday

Yesterday, I had the best intentions of getting on here and doing my "Thankful for Three Things Thursday" post but it just didn't happen. I thought about punishing myself by making it into a "Fortunate for These Four Things Friday" but that's just silly. Seriously, I'm an adult and I am my own boss and if I don't get around to a particular post, who cares. My boss isn't going to ride me for it and I'm not getting paid to do this so whatever....today is Friday, let's move on.

Having said that, I do want to mention a few things I am thankful for because one of them, cilantro, is pictured in this photo:


The recipe in the link calls for coriander but I used cilantro. Cilantro, for me, is one of those things that just gets me all giddy. I mince it all up and I'm like a teeny-bopper girl who just got a smile out of the most popular boy in school. It's ridiculous, really. Whenever I'm messing around in the kitchen with a cilantro bunch, my husband always tells me, "I used to make you happy like that."

We ate the salsa with chicken and salad greens. Nothing would make me happier than to say that it was grilled chicken but alas, I live in Indiana...and we'll leave it at that. No, actually, we won't leave it that. Remember how I was going on and on last Thursday about the buds on the trees, the warmer weather, and the animals frolicking outside? It snowed on Tuesday.

By the way, the recipe is a good one but besides substituting cilantro, I also used fresh garlic cloves - I don't remember how many. Knowing me, probably five or six. Next time I make it, I will leave out the olive oil and add more red pepper flakes. Honestly, I didn't see the need for the olive oil but followed the directions and threw it in there anyway. The element of "fire" just wasn't as strong as my tastes demand so I will probably the double the amount of red pepper flakes.

Another flashback: Remember the gratification I mentioned I get out of cutting with high-quality sharp knives? That same knife I posted a link for last week got a mind of its own this week and came after me, nearly slicing my darn finger off...while I was making the aforementioned salsa.

Now, I don't want to sound like I'm bragging here because I most certainly am not but I did want to mention my weight loss. I have been dieting for a few weeks with a few cheats here and there but I got on the scale this morning and my weight is now finally (for the first time in seventeen months) lower than it was the day I left the hospital after having sweet little Milla. Like I said, not bragging, just wanted to mention it because I am proud of my will-power and thankful for the loss.

In other news....

We are on Day #12 of potty-training Reiss. So far, he has not peed on the potty yet. He has done three practically microscopic turds on three consecutive nights but nothing else. I do find the poops to be somewhat encouraging but still wish that he would pee in the potty...and not down his leg.

This weekend we are going to make some exceptions to all my food "rules" and allow Reiss some mainstream candies for Easter. They will still be gluten-free and casein-free but I'm going to allow something with artificial dyes and flavorings and opt for Jelly Belly jelly beans, most likely. If I get time, I will also purchase an Easter-themed candy mold and melt down some Enjoy Life chocolate chips to fill it. Either way, Reiss gets candy so seldomly, he doesn't know what he's missing. It's not a big deal if he gets a tiny bit of naughty stuff like food dyes every now and then - it's the gluten and casein that are most important for him to avoid.

Well, there are children waking and garage doors opening, a signal of DH's arrival home....

No comments:

Post a Comment