Sunday, March 1, 2009

What Are They Doing That I'm Not???

Just like my son's autism doesn't rule our lives fulltime, writing only about it on my blog is not going to happen either. With that said, I am full of wonder these days.

For instance, I was just sitting down with Milla on my lap nursing and flipped the TV on to see an episode of Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. It never ceases to amaze me how thin some of the Food TV women are, especially when I see the foods that she or Giada De Laurentiis make on their shows. I have to wonder what these women are doing that I'm not. Sure, they are in the tv business but still, they make these incredible foods on their shows and taste it. I know they can't only be eating those one little tastes that are shown on camera! Do they just eat small portions, as in, bird-size portions? Oh, I don't know....the only thing that seems to work for me is low-carb eating and lots of water and exercise.

Another thing I have been pondering quite often lately - and welcome any comments from anyone but especially those who do NOT agree with my opinion - is how people can argue that vaccines do not play a part in at least some cases of autism. For those who think vaccines play no part at all, how do you explain your opinion to people like my husband and me who have a child who seemed to be developing just fine and then started regressing soon after his one year shots? Or worse, how do you explain vaccines playing no part in autism in children who are fine and then have a particular vaccine and immediately regress? As in, the same or next day. And although my own son's regression was not quite as quick as that, yes, I do know of people who noticed such drastic changes in their children as having things happen within hours or a day or two of being given vaccines. How do you explain that? How do you explain how vaccines could not have done such a thing? Seriously, I want to know.

And to those who do not think vaccines play a part, I encourage you to take a look at the results of my latest poll at the bottom of this page. Although it was not a scientific poll, I do think the results say a lot about vaccines and public opinion.

On to other things.....
If you are reading this and you know anything about me at all, you know I have a bit of an obsession with large families. I love, love, LOVE large families! I love the Duggar family and watch their show that is now called 18 Kids and Counting. I "follow" the blogs of several very large families. I was a bit interested in the newest octuplet story......until I couldn't take being ticked off at the mother any longer and had to count her out. I just love hearing about all the adventures and fun times that large families have. If it weren't for my husband and I starting out so late and then facing infertility issues, I think I would have loved to have had a very large family....ah, I'm speaking like it's out of the question now. Who knows....there may be several more children in our future.

So where was I going with this? Why is it people will sit around and criticize the parents of large families and argue that the older children are raising the younger ones? But then, those same people with only one, two, or three children will admit to having lots of debt and not being "able to afford (fill in the blank)." So basically, these people think it's okay to carry a ton of debt and teach their children about life with debt and not being able to afford things, but it's wrong to have a large family (and in a lot of cases, little or no debt) and teach the older children life skills by having them help out with the younger ones?

Seriously, I don't get people....but alas, I digress. We have things to do and not much weekend left to do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment