Friday, March 6, 2009

A Day Late But Not A Dollar Short

It's Friday and I feel very badly because I did not keep up my end of the deal with myself on doing a "Thankful for Three Things Thursday" post yesterday. Everything going on around here has just made things very hectic. Because a majority of the work being done in our house is in our kitchen, it's difficult to get in there to make any kind of meals. It's even less motivating to do so at seven in the evening, which is when these guys have been leaving. GRRR....but that's another post.

We have some things frozen that we can just heat up but we have also had lunch and/or dinner several nights from the same hole-in-the-wall Chinese place that we get lunch from every Saturday. And by the way, kinda off-topic here, the Asian guy who is in there all the time - and I do mean ALL - he has never NOT been in there in the nearly ten years we have been going there - forgot to ring up my lemonade and so he just gave it to me. Wasn't that nice? I will try to pay him for it this evening if that's where we get dinner from or tomorrow when James goes to get lunch but Asian guy (I think his name is Ty) probably won't let me and I'll have to sneak an extra little bit of money into the tip jar.

Between late dinners and trying to cram laundry and kids' baths and everything in after 7PM, by the time bedtime rolls around, blogging is my last priority.

Having said all that, I am thankful:

1) That we are able to afford much needed home-improvements even in a time when so many families are just focusing on putting food on their tables and in their babies' mouths. Oh, how I hope this economy is going to turn around soon. One good thing about having home improvements done at a time like this is, since almost all businesses are slow, business slowdowns also include contractors. As a result, we have been able to spend less on this home remodeling project than we probably would have spent even a few years ago.

2) For free things found by the roadside. As I was driving home from our Friday morning church share/playgroup, I spotted a "FREE" sign on a pile of stuff that included an infant carseat, a highchair, and a painted child-size outdoor chair. We have never had a highchair before, just booster seats. I took the highchair and the outdoor chair and left the carseat. We already have way too many infant carseats and right now have no infants to put in them. The highchair cover reeks of cigarette smoke but a few spins in the washer will hopefully take care of that. Otherwise, the plastic frame is as good as new.

3) For not having a lot of drama in my life. Okay, it may not sound like it from my blog but really, I don't have a lot of drama in my life. Sure, we have the stress of two small children and trying to figure out what works with them and what doesn't, but overall, I think I have a lot less drama than a lot of people around me. From where I'm sitting, it appears that some - if not most - of the drama I see in others' lives is self-imposed and could be avoided so I suppose I'm also thankful that I ditched my drama queen tiara several years ago when I exited my twenty-something years.

And thankfully, I got to three things when I did because now Reiss is home and that always means more drama around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment