Friday, January 28, 2011

Meet Dana Hopkins: Guest Author, AO Legacy News Coordinator & Biographer

Greetings all! I am delighted to be a new contributor to the Agent Orange Legacy blog. I'm Dana Hopkins , also known in some circles as Reddiva Dana. I am an Agent Orange Widow. My husband Greg Barschenfeld & I fell instantly in love and had a scant, but intensely loving two years.


Greg Barschenfeld

He was a musician, a filmmaker & mentor to many. He was a Viet Nam Vet, a decorated Green Beret & medic. He battled PTSD for many years. He was relatively unaware of delayed consequences of Agent Orange, until horrifyingly virulent, fast metastasizing cancer cut short his active, healthy life in less than a year. Agent Orange was revealed to be the cause. I battled for his rights in chemo suites, at home and on the road. He was finally placed on the AO registry & received full benefits 2 months before his death. It has been 18 months now since he died in my arms.


Greg & Dana

Since then I have been spurred to advocate, investigate & just share what ever skills & love I have with Vets & the generations of children & grandchildren impacted by Agent Orange as well as PTSD. I have always been outspoken about the need to recognize, honor & care for our Viet Nam Vets. Although I am a lifelong pacifist, I have never understood our disregard for these warriors. "you can hate the War, but love the Warrior" is my mantra. I am the mother of three sons, ages 21 , 26 & 28. I'm an experienced blogger, writer, spoken word & story telling artist. I have spent most of my working life as a trained theatre tech [scenic art, costuming, makeup & lighting] as well as manager, promoter and singer primarily in Rock N Roll and fringe theatre. I am considered a "doula" to artists of all kinds. I guess that makes me "everybody's Mom"


Greg Barschenfeld

So, here I am ready to take on investigative reporting and , perhaps most importantly, your stories. I am open minded and a good listener and recorder. Please share your stories with me so that we have more to share in Washington. I want to hear you and I want others to hear you as well. You can email me through the Agent Orange Legacy Support Community here at http://www.agentorangelegacy.ning.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment