Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Vegetarian Silly Burgers

Silly Burger dressed with fresh cilantro, salsa, and halved cherry tomatoes.

This recipe is very loosely based on a recipe by Paula Deen called Black Eyed Pea Cakes.

While I would never accuse the charmingly southern-accented Ms. Deen of developing a bland recipe, I did, however, feel when I first tried her black eyed pea cake recipe that I could improve upon it in a way that creates an end product that is not only healthier but more flavorful.

Somewhere in my blood an ethnicity that is drawn to cilantro and cumin apparently exists and, for that reason, I will add one or both of them to nearly anything in the kitchen. For my children, foods need only be called burgers or fries and they come running. As a family, we also eat a diet free of gluten and dairy products. My recipe for Silly Burgers meets all our culinary tastes and dietary needs.

Silly Burgers - Approx. 10 "burger" patties
3 cups cooked black eyed peas, drained well
1.5 cups grated zucchini (approx. 1 average-sized zucchini)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup diced roasted red peppers
1 egg (for vegan option, leave out and add 2 T. GF flour)
1/4 cup GF flour
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
Oil for pan

Optional garnish:
Fresh cilantro, diced
Your favorite brand of salsa or make your own fresh
Cherry tomatoes, halved

Heat oil over low-medium heat. With a potato masher, mash the black eyed peas. Add all other ingredients minus the oil. Mix well and spoon out into skillet, flattening slightly to make patties. Cook until golden on both sides. Garnish and eat with a fork or serve on a bun as a burger. Enjoy!

And yes, my kids really do eat these and come back for seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment