Sunday, February 7, 2010

New Summer City Cruiser

It's been three weeks since I've touched my bike.  I've been out to my garage to look at it and check on it a few times, but that's about it.  My tools have been in the same place for that amount of time as well.  I think I might of moved a few things around and cleaned up a bit and I'm pretty sure our chihuahua, Venice, has pissed on my new fender that has been sitting on the ground beside my bike.  Awesome. 


Again I'm blaming the weather for my lack of motivation.  The weather warmed up a few weeks back.  I believe it topped out at about 15 degrees celsius and that gave me a little push to get in the garage and do some things.  But...that was three weeks ago.  Since then it's been shitty.  Snowing, cold, freezing rain and fog.  Kind of funny but it hasn't been to windy.  In order for this winter weather to go away we need some wind.  A chinook is a warm wind, and if we get that for a few days it will melt all this snow and warm thing's up a bit.  The cold winter weather is depressing, unless you're on a ski hill.  The colder the weather, the more people look forward to the summer.  Which brings me to my next post.  Bike-sa'kels. Bikes. Pedal bikes. Bicycles.  My girlfriend Kristin and I are going to buy bicycles.  We've been talking about it off and on for a while now, and today we surfed the 'net and got some ideas of what we want.


There are all types of bikes and bikes for all types of people.  Mountain bikes, BMX bikes, utility bikes, messenger bikes, recumbent bikes, touring bikes and motorbikes and on and on and on. People ride bikes for all reasons. People ride for sport and competition and people also ride to for errands and commuting to work.  We just wanna get some bikes for fun. A bike that looks cool but is comfortable, and is reasonably priced yet not cheap. We just want a bike to cruise around on. 


I made a trip this past summer down to El Segundo, CA to visit my good friend David Eno.  While I was there he lent me his 'Beach Cruiser' bike for a few days.  That did it for me.  I wanted one.  Problem is that Lethbridge doesn't have a beach.  It doesn't matter.  I don't need a beach to ride a beach cruiser.  


Im not gonna grind on rails and I'm not gonna hit the trails in the hills. Im not gonna work my ass off going up steep hills and I'm not gonna fly down any hills either.  I'm not delivering mail although I might be picking up a few groceries once and a while.  I'm not racing on a tour and I'm not racing on a dirt track.  I just wanna bike that is comfortable.  A good seat.  Suitable handle bars.  Maybe even a basket. Maybe.  


Here are a few examples of some cool cruisers...




Electra's Rat Fink is the limo of choppers and has everything needed to make a statement. This wild ride features a sturdy aluminum frame with an extra-long wheelbase, a double-clamp fork and ape-hanger bars for cruising the boulevards in style. The painted rims and extra-wide tires roll smoothly, a Shimano 3-speed drivetrain lets you stay cool on any terrain and the dual-spring saddle provides sofa quality comfort.




Simple at heart, Electra's Cruiser 1 lets you go anywhere in comfort. It features a classic steel frame, plush saddle, wide bars, tough wheels and knobby tires that are equally at home on pavement and dirt. Without any extraneous clutter you can let your mind wander, and this ride is sure to follow.






vintage-beach-cruiser-bikes-by-james-perse.jpg








These vintage beach cruiser bikes by James Perse are modeled after the original cruisers of the '50s and '60s. Each vintage beach cruiser bike features stylistic fat tires that can handle sand, wide-style handlebars and coaster brakes. Combining a vintage style with a modern look, each James Perse Cruiser is custom built and includes a limited edition serial number. Some of the features include: Hydroform steel frame, billet aluminum stem, hand-aged leather seat and grips, triple-clamp fork, extra large aluminum sprocket, extra wide 2" rims and 2.125" tires, 1 speed coaster brake hub and a limited edition serial number tag. Bikes are available exclusively at James Perse boutiques.




rusty spokes cruiser bicycle with rear suspension
Rusty Spokes inventor David Morrow has just launched his new Softcruise cruiser bikes with a patent pending design that includes rear suspension.  His new line includes men’s, women’s and stretch cruisers and they’re available with a choice of single speed, three speed , and seven speed internal hubs with grip shifts










lowrider-bike.jpg
20″ Custom Aztlan Cruiser Bikes. Series 640 – 20″ complete bicycle with All Flat Twisted Bent Spring Fork, 144 Spoke Fan Wheels, Vinyl Banana Seat, Flat Twisted Sissy Bar and Flat Twisted Fender Brace





20  " THE WORKS Lowrider Bike

This bike is just ridiculous.  




Now, just to let you all know.  I didn't write up the descriptions for all the bikes.  I was just surfing around for some pics of some cool bikes and I found a lot of them.  These bikes happened to have to some good descriptions along with the pics.  I could of posted a lot more pics but I'll save it for another day, the day of the decision.  The day I decide what bike I'll cruise on this summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment