Thursday, February 18, 2010

And On A More Positive Note....

It felt good to vent a bit on Tuesday but lest anyone think all I do is complain about autism, I figure anyone spending any amount of their time reading my blog deserves to hear some good news as well. You know, to equal things out. Here are some of the breakthroughs we have witnessed with Reiss over the last (nearly) year and a half since we began dietary restrictions and supplements:

Regarding speech......
Although Reiss has been quite verbal since beginning communication with speech as a toddler, his speech wasn't always functional. His speech seemed a tad delayed, then it took off, and then he started losing some of it. At around eighteen months of age, he used to do the cutest thing. He would say, "Awesome!" and do a little fist pump into the air. Soon after, he stopped doing it. As the months passed, this wasn't the only thing he lost, it was simply the most memorable.

Reiss wouldn't talk a whole lot except to repeat things. Engaging in a conversation with him was non-existent. He had a lot of repetitive speech (echolalia). He had pronomial confusion - he confused I, you, me, and the possessive forms as well. For example, he might have said, "You want the waffle." but what he really meant was that he wanted the waffle. He could not answer a simple "yes" or "no" question, nor any type of who, what, when, why, or where questions. And he definitely couldn't ask any questions. At all. We never went through the "Why? Why? Why?" phase with Reiss that most parents complain about with their children during the toddler years.

The way it was explained to us by the special services school officials who evaluated Reiss for entrance into developmental preschool, many of these kids don't even understand that a question is being asked and that a response is expected. It doesn't matter that a typical person changes the inflection when asking a question, children with autism many times just don't understand. And that explains why I used to have to tell Reiss "I need a yes or a no, please." when asking him that type of question. Still, often times, he would reply with whatever pleased him and not necessarily the correct answer. I think he knew I was getting frustrated and he was just as frustrated and figured any answer would shut me up.

If something hurt, Reiss could not tell us it hurt. He could not tell us what happened if something got hurt when we had our heads turned and didn't see him fall or bump his head or stub his toe. One can only imagine how frustrating and heartbreaking it was when Reiss, at 28 months old and on the day before I was scheduled to have a c-section for Milla, hurt his leg going down a slide and couldn't walk. We knew something was wrong with his leg but he couldn't tell us exactly where it hurt. Pointing to things to try to find the source of pain was, well, pointless. We would point to his ankle and ask if it hurt and he would nod his head. We would point to his knee and ask if it hurt and he would nod his head. We would then point to say, his nose and ask if it hurt and once again, he would nod his head. That entire incident was about $3000 worth of medical bills and a leg cast for several weeks, only to be told by the doctors that they were certain his leg was not broken but otherwise, had no clue why he would/could not walk on it. (And people wonder why I have so little faith in the majority of medical professionals. This is only one example of why, but I promise, I'll save that tangent for another day.) Within a few days of getting the cast, Reiss was walking again but still couldn't tell us what hurt.

After only a few weeks of being on a gluten-free, casein-free diet, Reiss's language in terms of functionality grew by leaps and bounds. He was answering questions more and more as the days passed. He seemed to better understand the dynamics of speech and how it could get him what he wanted. There are times when Reiss still has some issues with holding a conversation but he can certainly answer just about any type of question now. "Why" questions seem to be the most difficult for him but he will sometimes make up an answer - even if an illogical one. If it means I get an answer when I ask a question, rather than a blank stare, I'll take it!

Regarding sensory hyper-sensitivity.....
My most vivid memories of Reiss having hyper-sensitive senses are of the many, many months where he would just bawl his little eyes out if the phone rang. The vacuum cleaner seemed to be torturous to him. If a door was closed, not even slammed, the poor little guy was ready to jump out of his skin. He would stare at lights and giggle. Car rides were painful...for everyone involved. A simple ten minute ride from Point A to Point B almost always ended in an hour of trying to console our poor baby. We didn't know then that all of these were exactly what they seemed to be for him: way too much sensory overload for him to handle. I remember a particular family member chastising me for keeping the phone off the hook during naptimes and also for not wanting to go anywhere that required a long (in which, "long" consisted of anything more than fifteen minutes) drive. I was told, "Well, he needs to get used to it!" as if forcing him into these situations of enduring the phone ringing or riding around in the car or whatever else would somehow eventually ease the real pain going on in his little body.

Reiss did begin to very, very slowly outgrow most of these things but still, until we began dietary changes, rides in the car were not fun for anyone and the pain of hearing the vacuum cleaner was just simply too much for him. These days, Reiss loves to run the vacuum cleaner himself. Car rides are much easier, although I cannot say they are much quieter. However, the difference now is that it's a more joyful noise on most occasions.


Regarding sleep.....

Most people don't believe me when I tell them about Reiss's sleeping habits as a baby and on into toddler-hood. Occasionally, even other parents of children with autism don't believe me because sleep was not an issue with their child with ASD. But here it is and it is the honest to God's truth and it takes another parent who has been through it to fully comprehend that it really can be this bad.

Having been in the military and gone through Basic Training, I thought I knew sleep deprivation. Until Reiss came along though, I was clueless. Reiss never slept through the night until he was three-and-a-half years old. No, really, I'm serious - not ever, not even one time. And yes, I'm aware that the so-called experts consider six hours of straight sleep for an infant is considered "sleeping through the night." As a baby and up until he was around nine months old, Reiss would wake every fifteen to forty-five minutes, all through the night. I remember telling people this and they would think I was exaggerating. I always got the ol' "It will get better in a few months." answer. But it didn't get better. And of course they thought I was exaggerating - that simply is not a typical sleep pattern for an infant. But I didn't know that then. Well, I did know that but everyone told me I must be exaggerating so naturally, I just thought that it must be that bad with all infants and I was just being a wimpy new mommy. I also remember thinking that I didn't know why anyone would ever want more than one child. How would they ever get any sleep again?

Around the time Reiss was eight or nine months old and I was nearing the end of my rope due to total and complete sleep deprivation, I decided to let Reiss co-sleep with us. Co-sleeping improved his sleep habits but they were still very poor for a child of nine months. By then, he was still waking just about every hour. There were times when he didn't wake but he would laugh hysterically in his sleep. (You parents of children with autism, you know what I'm talking about and you also know that it probably seemed cute and adorable at one time but is now a nightmare come true if your child still does it.) If I was able to drop-off into a deep sleep for only two hours before he woke, I considered myself extremely lucky.

Reiss's constant waking continued for months and months. And years. He had begun sleeping in a toddler bed but was still waking quite often and many times in a state of ear-piercing screams and was unable to be consoled. Sometimes the "waking" when he was screaming those horrible screams was not him waking, but most likely night terrors, in which he was still technically asleep.

If you don't believe what I told you about Reiss's sleep habits before we began a GFCF (gluten-free, casein-free) diet, you almost certainly won't believe what happened after we began eating this way. The very first night after eating this way for an entire day, Reiss slept through the night, all night, without a single wakeup. I knew this diet was going to be a real pain for us and it created even more challenges of its own (as if we didn't already have enough things working against us), but it was that one thing - Reiss sleeping through the night after three and a half years of life and never having done so even one time - that convinced me that we had to keep on with this diet and at least make an attempt at improving the other troublesome symptoms Reiss exhibited.

Regarding stimming (self-stimulatory behaviors).......
Reiss exhibited many of the stereotypical stimming behaviors in autistic children. He toe-walked. At the time, I didn't know this was one of the signs of autism. Although not to the extent of many children with more severe autism, he flapped his arms. I didn't know that was one of the signs of autism either. He would spin in circles, sometimes with his hands at his sides and at other times, with them held out at shoulder level. I didn't know that was a sign of autism. He would lie on the floor, literally for hours on end rolling a truck back and forth, back and forth (to a point where he would throw a tantrum if we needed to leave the house or transition to doing something besides rolling that darn truck). I didn't know he was stimulating his visual sense by watching the wheels spin. I also didn't know that was another sign of autism. He had to have his shoes on all the time. And I mean all the time - even to bed at night. He would throw a fit if even one drop of water got on his shirt. He would get bent out of shape if his fork and plate sitting in front of him were accidentally bumped and moved just millimeters. All of these quirks, stims - whatever you want to call them - are signs of autism, yet every single one of these behaviors was dismissed as being normal toddler behavior when we brought them to the attention of our family doctor. We would tell our friends and family about our concerns and not once did anyone ever tell us that these are all signs of autism. We were always encouraged to believe these were all normal behaviors for a toddler. But we knew...we just knew something wasn't right.

We began treating Reiss with diet and supplements before he was diagnosed with autism (but WE had known for a long time!). His stimming behaviors began dissipating immediately. Occasionally - but not very often - we will see Reiss spinning in circles but it's a different kind of spinning. I know that sounds strange and I don't know how to explain it, but it's true. We do not see any of the other behaviors on a regular basis anymore. Sometimes Reiss wants to get water on his shirt. Other times he doesn't even want one drop of it near him. But having said that, it's not like it used to be where he was consistent with throwing a tantrum every single time his shirt inadvertantly came into contact with a drop of water.

As you can see from my post on Tuesday, we still have many of the tantrums and undesirable behaviors but we are learning and working and researching and tweaking this way of life of dietary restrictions and supplements, with the help of Reiss's DAN! doctor, to find what works to solve his problems and what does not work for him, as an individual. Overall, I think Reiss has come a long, LONG way in only a little over a year. I know of a few parents who would consider the improvements he has shown as nothing but miraculous. My husband and I accredit all of it to dietary restrictions, supplementation, and DAN! protocol. I hate to think of where we would be and the greater number of frustrations we would have if we had not at least given a try with this method of treatment.

Regarding ATEC Scores.......
I saved this part for last because I can go on and on and on all day long about how well I think Reiss has progressed and how much my husband and I attribute all of that progress to diet and supplements but it means nothing to most people if it's not coming from the mouth of a professional working in the field of autism.

ATEC stands for "Autism Treatment Evaluation Checklist." An ATEC score determines a child's autism severity level. The higher the score, the more severe the autism is in the child. The lower the score, the more mild the autism is in the child. An ATEC score of 180 is the maximum, with the higher scores indicating severe autism in the child. It is only at a score of less than 50 that it is determined the child may have some success of leading a semi-independent life as an adult. At a score of around 30, the chances that the child may grow up to lead an independent become better. Many times when the score drops below 20, the child loses his autism diagnosis and behaves like any typical child.

When we first began seeing a special doctor for Reiss's autism, which was around three months into using dietary intervention and beginning supplements, Reiss's ATEC score was in the mid-eighties - simply put, his autism was moderately severe. I have to wonder how much higher it was before we even began dietary restrictions because I know by three months in, he had already improved quite drastically. Now, close to one year after our first ATEC scoring and almost a year and a half into changing his diet and adding in many supplements, Reiss received an ATEC score of 37 just two weeks ago. If that's not testimony enough as to the success of dietary invention and vitamin supplementation in children with autism, I don't know what is!

I can't wait to get started with ABA therapy as well, as it is one of the only therapies known to have a proven success rate in helping children with autism. It is also the only therapy that is recommended and supported by the Surgeon General (not that that means anything to me, but I'm sure it may mean something to others who are more trusting of those who are in charge of medical policy in this country) in developing abilities in children with ASD.

Do I think our way is the only way? Of course not. All of these children with autism are so different. After all, what may work for one child with autism, may not work for another. But I will say this, every single book and recovery success story I have read in regards to healing children of autism has always involved dietary intervention and ABA therapy. I think we are close to recovery with dietary intervention. I want to be even closer....

Next step, ABA. And it starts next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment