Thursday, June 17, 2010

The Juice

June 17, 1994

Where were you?




Apparently Arnold Palmer was playing his final round at the U.S. Open, the New York Knicks were battling the Hakeem Olajuwon's Houston Rockets, the World Cup was kicking off in Chicago, and the New York Rangers were basking in the glory of their Stanley Cup victory with a ticker-tape parade in Manhattan.

Most famously, it was the day that, with former teammate Al Cowlings at the wheel, O.J. Simpson, charged with the murder of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend Ronald Goldman, took his slow ride around the freeways of Southern California in a white Ford Bronco, holding a gun to his head. 

I bet some of my buddies from L.A. have some better stories about where they were when this went down...

I was in grade 9, and I was most likely rockin' a pair of overall's with the left strap hanging off my waist.  I remember getting home and as we flipped through all the channels, all that was on the TV was OJ.  Who the fack is OJ?  I grew up in Picture Butte, Alberta, Canada.  I didn't have a clue about the NFL.  OJ?  Is that the guy from Naked Gun?  I had no idea he even played football,  let alone was an All-American, a Heisman trophy candidate, or was the only player to rush for over 2,000 yards in a 14 game season.  He was a 6 time pro-bowler, an actor, and he even hosted SNL at one time, I'd love to see that episode, I'm sure he killed it...









No comments:

Post a Comment