Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Slicin'n'Dicin...

"Cut's like a Knife..."

Wow.  I'm an idiot.

What happens when a fresh new blade'd utility knife meets the soft skin of hand?

Around 5:30 pm this afternoon I picked up my mail.  In my mail I finally received the last part I need to complete my bike for the season.  It's a coil and key relocation bracket.  It moves the coil and key to the left side of the bike.  Along with the bracket assembly I also needed to do a wire tuck.  This means moving all the wiring from under my frame to the bottom of my tank.  I first removed my tank, freshly painted, off my bike and set it away from the bike on a piece of carpet in my garage.  I then needed to take off a plastic housing bracket that holds all the existing wiring and wiring harness.  This plastic housing is attached to the bike with a few bolts and many tight zip ties.  The bolts came off very easy.  The zip ties however, were a battle.  I couldn't get a wire cutter or a set of pliers threw the zip ties because they were so tight.  So I thought..and I thought...and I decided I would try a utility knife.  It worked perfectly.  I cut about 19 zip ties rather easily, then came the final zip tie.  This final zip tie was the the one that was holding the housing on.  Once I get through this one then I'm golden and then I can get the wire tuck done and I can get the new brackets assembled.

I managed to saw through the final zip tie, and I also managed to slice the left side of my hand wide open as well.  It felt like I just nicked my hand, when I looked down it looked look I just unzipped a red hoodie. I was in complete shock and I was leaking everywhere.  Amazingly I didn't get a drop of blood on my bike.  I immediately grabbed my hand a pinched my cut with some pressure.  I ran to the door, which was shut and started kicking it, trying to get Kristin's attention.  I didn't want to let go of my hand because I was afraid that I would bleed even worse.  Kristin eventually heard me and we rushed off to the emergency.

I ran into the ER and a few guys in line let me go straight to the nurse.  I forget the nurse's name, I apologize, I know you're reading this and I want to thank-you again for your help.  She wrapped me up and led me to one of the rooms where Dr. Buck took over.  What a gem.  Besides the needle's he pierced me with, he was very gentle and he didn't make me cry.  I wanted to take some pic's but I realized that I didn't have my phone on me.  Who doesn't want a pic of a cool cut?  Dr. Buck got up for a second and I realized he had an Iphone on him, I asked if it was okay for him to take a few different pics as he worked on it.  He was more then happy to do so, I think he was even gonna send a few to his brother to have a look.  After the pics and the stitching I was off and back home in a few hours.  I was expecting to wait all night to get in but they told me I was the most action they had seen in a few days.  I was very relieved that they got me in as quick as they did.  Thanks again to Dr. Buck and the nurse.


Even with one hand I got some pics.

Here's the best part:


The weapon.


Fresh new Blade.


The mess I made while kicking the door.


Bloody Nixon.


 The plastic housing w/zip ties that I was cutting.


Bloody Mess.


All cleaned up.


'Zip tied'

No comments:

Post a Comment