Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Little Modesty, Please!

It has never really occured to me before now that I may want to start displaying a bit of modesty around Reiss when breastfeeding Milla. Yes, I will concede to the fact that I am sometimes just plain clueless in certain areas but considering the fact that Reiss does have autism, I've just continued to whip out the "nursin's," as he calls them, whenever Milla is ready to eat.

At only three years old, honestly, I see no harm in him still seeing my breasts. By admitting to such a thing, I will hopefully not have to open my door in the near future to find a CPS (Child Protective Services) caseworker here to make a query of the daily goings-on in our household. Hey, you never know....some people get bent out of shape over the silliest things. I once read a news story about some parents whose child was taken because they were partaking in what we will call "intimate interactions" with their fifteen-month-old in the same room. And if you're reading this and saying, "Well, they should have the child taken away if they're going to do that in front of him!" to that, I say, PUHLEEZE get your panties unbunched! Some children in the world continue to breastfeed until five years of age. That's not exactly for me, but I don't see the harm in a child seeing a sibling take part in a natural feeding process.

Anyhoo.....With Reiss now in developmental preschool, the teachers and therapists working in his room write in a spiral notebook (that we provided because it it a required item on the preschoolers' supply list) any information they feel is relevant for the parents to know. Today, I read a note from the speech therapist that Reiss has been pointing at the teachers' breasts and saying something along the lines of "that one nurse." I'm not really sure what that's all about and we have never heard him use those words specifically so I'm going to have to look into that on Tuesday when we take him to school. Apparently, this is not "socially acceptable" behavior - I think that is how it was worded, anyway. I'm sure it is not acceptable but somehow I forgot to teach him that...or perhaps I should say, "try" to teach him that, since I still haven't quite acquired a knack for figuring out what he will hold onto in memory and what he will let pass him by.

It's truly amazing how caught up I seem to get in taking care of Reiss and making sure his needs (and demands and whinings and everything else) are met that I sometimes miss the obvious - like teaching him not to point at women's breasts and make comments. How embarassing is that for me that I've totally missed the boat on that??? Seriously...So not only do I get to question the situation at school the next time we go in and in what context Reiss is exhibiting this latest behavior, but I also get the joy of exposing myself all out there for the teacher and therapists to see my failure to keep up with teaching Reiss social graces while dealing with all the other challenges of raising him "right." GAAAAHHHH....Isn't it a wonderful life?

No comments:

Post a Comment