Monday, January 26, 2009

Developmental Preschool

It's sometimes funny how autism can throw a wrench into things. For example, for quite some time I have thought maybe homeschooling might be the way I would like for my children to receive an education. Well, hopefully, that's still not out of the question but I do wonder on most days how I will educate a child in my home with so many special needs. I mean, if it takes professionals who are college-degreed and experienced in the field of special education a good amount of time to figure out what "clicks" for a child with autism, then how in the world am I ever going to figure it all out? That's not discounting myself as a dummy, it's just the reality of things. Sure, I have two college degrees but in totally unrelated fields and I don't use either of them. Parents who homeschool typical (not derogatory, this is how parents of children with autism refer to children without autism) children run into extreme obstacles sometimes. Throw autism into the mix and it seems like the perfect recipe for a "child left behind."

Enough about me wondering whether or not the future will turn out how I want for it to turn out. The reality right now is that Reiss has qualified to attend developmental preschool through the public school system in our area. He will receive speech therapy and social skills therapy. Oh, and I must add, not a nanosecond too soon on the social skills therapy. The sooner he understands that "poke her in the eye" is not a socially acceptable way to preface an interaction with another child, the better!

In addition to the speech and social skills therapy, Reiss will also be watched by the physical and occupational therapists who come in to work with other children. If they feel he needs either service, they will recommend it to the school. It will be interesting to hear what they conclude regarding his needs in this area, as we have always felt that he is a bit "clumsy" - for lack of a better word.

Tomorrow is the big day for the little guy. He's been told he gets to start at the big boy school. I'm not really sure if he comprehends this but I know he is looking forward to "goin' to see the fee-ish." (That's "fish," as in, goldfish for those who are not familiar with toddlerese.)

No comments:

Post a Comment