Saturday, January 24, 2009

Craisins are out!!!

So after repeatedly reading in different sources about the risk of phenols, especially in "red" foods, you would think Craisins would be the last thing I would ever want to feed a child with autism-related behavioral issues, right? Wrong! No....no, not me! I had to go and buy the three pound bag of them because they're an easy finger food and fabulously portable and - for those who know me - because they were a bargain! Well, no more! Craisins are banned from this household, much to my dismay because I really began to love them.

After a bit of casual and unscientific experimentation, I have found that when Reiss is not given Craisins we see fewer appearances of disaster child. When he is given Craisins, he thinks he has to wolf down several ounces of them like he's not eaten in three days and then not long after doing so, "Disaster Child" invariably emerges - and with a vengeance. We can go from having a pretty decent afternoon to Mommy wanting to drive the SUV into a retaining pond quicker than I can zip the tab closed on the reclosable bag of Craisins. In case you can't tell by the level of insanity I am caused by Disaster Child, suffice it to say that simply the notion of Disaster Child making an appearance sends fear through my whole body and rattles me at my core.

So much for bargains......I may have to find a more expensive portable toddler snack or whatever - anything to avoid a Disaster Child sighting. It ain't a bargain if you have to get (Fill in the blank: alcohol, massage, manicure, MNO, etc.) therapy just to recover from an afternoon of dealing with Disaster Child and keeping a restraint on yourself so as not to clobber the little guy.

I love you, Craisins, but now we must part ways and move on. It's for the best, or at least, for the sake of my sanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment